Monday, May 28, 2007

Oman, Still

Inside Grand Mosque.
Still in Oman, and yes it's still hot, but I am beginning to think that 36C is pleasant and 42C is merely warm. I am acclimatizing, but I am worried because Europe temperatures are around 16C and I believe I will be freezing because I have adapted so well to this heat. It sucks for the first while, but it's honestly fine once you get used to it.

Yesterday, we ventured to Grand Mosque, where I had to cover myself up completely (long pants, long sleeve shirt, and head scarf) so as not to offend any of the locals. It was really beautiful, actually, the Mosque. The architecture and art was wonderful, and chandeliers all over the place. I took a bunch of pictures of it, and yes, there is a terrible picture of me in my head scarf that you can all view when I load pictures on once I am back in Vancouver.

After the Mosque, we went to the Omani Museum, which was pretty interesting...there were exhibits of all the different national dress for all the different regions in Oman, and jewellery and other such things.

Today was spent back in the water, with the GUE instructor that I took the course with, and the purpose of diving today was to see if I could upgrade my recreational pass on the course to a technical pass, which basically means that I had to have the same mastery of skills before, but using double tanks, and with a little less leeway for mistakes in buoyancy and trim, and miraculously, I performed well, so I now have a technical pass (which Brandon received when we did the actual course). I would have done the whole course in doubles, but to be honest, I was scared of carting them around in the heat (they weigh the same amount as I do), and the course gave me so much to think about without worrying about diving double tanks. At any rate, it's all good and done and I can go on to take technical course with the GUE agency now if I so desire.

No plans for tomorrow yet, but at some point we are going to go dive the Daminyat (sp?) Islands, which are supposed to be wonderful. Then we head to Dubai on the 2nd for a couple days before jetting over to Europe.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Life is good. I like it here in Oman.

Hey Terry, be warned if you ever come out this way...they burn frankensence EVERYWHERE, and all the Omanis wear really strong perfume! My nose is constantly filled with a conglomeration of odd smells.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work on your certifications! Does this mean that you can now teach diving if you so desire?

Hopefully you don't find Europe too cold.. I was freezing when I came home to Calgary for about 2 weeks!

Tedi

Anonymous said...

Well done with your certification! congrats! Look forward to seeing the pictures of the mosque and of you in your attire. Happy travels to you both.
Love Mom