Friday, June 8, 2007

Amsterdam

Windmill in Leiden.
So Brandon and I went to Amsterdam 2 days ago, which is only about a 30 minute train ride from where we are staying. First thing we did when we got there was head to the Anne Frank House, where we had to wait in line to be admitted for 45 minutes. It was a really neat thing to do, but really depressing. If sany of you get here, I recommend it. It was amazing...they have the original copies of her diary in there.

Then we headed to the Heineken Brewery where we walked through and saw everything in there. And the best part was that you get 3 free beers along the way.. Unfortunately for me, I don't really like Heineken, but I did drink one of them because, well, you have to! It's Amsterdam! It was also really neat. I also recommend that excursion to anyone heading to Amsterdam.

Then we went on a canal boat tour where we boated around the main canals and saw Amsterdam as a whole.

Then we went to Boom Chicago, which is a comedy/improv performance and we had a total blast. Then, we trained home.

Yesterday was spent in Leiden, where we went on a tour of a windmill (it's necessary. Holland is windmill country). It was actually really interesting. Then we biked to Wassenaar, which is Brandon's little home town, and he visited his school and talked to some of his old teachers. Then we biked to a pancake house and I had my first "real" pancake and oh my goodness it was so delicious. It was HUGE, but I ate the whole thing because i couldnt stop eating it. YUMMM. Then we biked around Wassenaar, and I got to see Brandon's old house, and where they did all the shopping (on a shopping street, no malls here), and then we boked back to base camp with the Yarnells.

Anyway, it's awesome here. We are heading back to Amsterdam today to see the van Gogh museum and such (we are staying in Leiden, yes, but we really came here for Amsterdam, so we'll probably be there quite a bit). Tomorrow we are going to Brussels, Belgium for the day.

No comments: